Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Water Water Everywhere

The first reminder that we were back to work was the alarm clock going off at 5:30 this morning.  The last time we had set the alarm was November 27, 2012.  REALLY!!!   I fixed breakfast while Sherry got ready.  She ate and was out the door by 6:30.  She has to leave that early in order to park the Moose at the office.    I washed the dishes, dressed, watched the news, and had some more coffee. My shift starts at 9.   I got my cart from the barn and took our trash to the dumpster.  On the way there I noticed a lot of water on the drive.  As I got closer I noticed that it was flowing up at the last site on the main drive.  This was where we had to go to last November to run the new line to the dump station. I couldn't imagine that our replacement line could have burst.  By this time Dave was at the office so I picked him up to get his feel for the situation.  He said that there was too much water flowing to be our new line and thought the main had let go.  We turned off the water at the pump house.  I had to exchange the trencher for the backhoe on the tractor which took about an hour.  When we got back to the site a large hole had developed so we started digging.  What we found was a joint where two sections of the main line had blown apart.  We didn't have the right parts for the repair so Dave got changed and went to Indy.   This line is four feet down.  Dave and I both were covered in mud.  It seems that one thing leads to another so while the water was off, we replaced several bad faucets and made another line repair.  This took us well into the afternoon.

Now that the back hoe is on the tractor we dug up a sewer that needed repair on the north side of the park and finished digging a trench for the new sewer lines on two more deluxe sites being developed.  We set the pipes and glued the joints.  All seemed well and the end of the day was in sight.  Dave was pushing dirt by into the trenched to cover the new pipes when he accidental caught the bucket on the riser breaking it off at the elbow.  Out comes the shovel again.  I dig a hole down to the broken section and made a repair in the new pipe. Sheesh!!!  

I put the cart in the barn and stripped out of my muddy shoes and clothes outside before going in the trailer.  I got dressed and took clothes to the laundry for cleaning.   Now for some food and rest.

Getting to the Dirt (MUD) of Wayne's World

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure that mud was also very COLD Brrrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very Brrrr and Very wet. I think Dave is testing my commitment.

      Delete
  2. Makes me think of the old saying "a bad day in Florida is still better than a good day (especially when working that hard) in Indy! K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on!!!!! With snow blowing most of the day and a low of 27 at 9am the truck keeps turning south all by itself.

      Delete
    2. Go Moose Go!!! K

      Delete