Hi 71 lo 60
It is December and we slept last night with the windows open. Sometime during the night I even kicked the covers off. It’s strange looking at weather reports and see that members of my family are getting snow and we are wearing shorts and walking on the beach.
When I first moved to Indianapolis ( many many moons ago) one of my favorite restaurants was Godfathers Pizza located near 71st and Michigan Road. You could get a loaded pizza that weighed 5 pounds. I remember that grease would run down your arm as you held a piece. We never used knives and forks to eat pizza. It was so good but like most good things Godfathers closed and became only a memory. Well! Saturday while we were exploring I saw that famous sign along US 17 about 8 miles from our park. Our truck just had to make a turn and stop. Unfortunately they were closed. With my tail tucked I drove back to the camper and had a sandwich. Now don’t worry, The sign said that they would be open at 4PM. Supper was settled so at 5:30 we ordered a med classic, wings, and drinks and a stack of napkins and waited with delight that an old memory would come to life. The Pie and wings made it to our table and We left with half for another meal , very full tummies and I had a very satisfied smile. The only thing missing was NO river of grease as before. Oh well at my age that amount of oil is not needed in my diet. It was as I remembered. We decided we needed to walk some the calories off so we headed to the Commons Market Center and shopped for a couple hours. This center has upscale shops which was fun to walk through. I will say I had no problem sleeping that night.
Sunday we attended services at Surfside United Methodist Church. This was a large congregation and we was lost in the crowd. Their bell choir performed and the young kids presented a wonderful Christmas program with lots of singing. I enjoyed them very much. The sermon was given on Mary. We made a stop at the Food Lion for groceries and returned to the trailer to relax and watch a little football. Go Colts!!
One of the obstacles with full time RV living is how to get mail on the road. We took a trip to South Dakota last year to set up a change of residency and mail forwarding. We joined America’s Mailbox in Box Elder, SD. All of our mail goes to this service. We send a request for mail delivery with an address where to have our mail sent and a day to mail it to us. It has worked very well till this week. Up to now we usually receive a package within 4 days. We try to get mail every two weeks. I ordered a shipment to go out last Monday so that it would arrive here during our week’s stay. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday came and went with no mail. I started to be concerned. We are moving to Charleston tomorrow and really worried about how our package would catch up with us. This morning armed with a copy of my shipping confirmation with tracking number I went to the servicing Post Office. He looked up the tracking number and said that the package arrived Saturday. Now I am worried. He started looking in the sorting area and actually was able to retrieve our mail from the route truck before it left. He couldn’t explain why it didn’t get delivered Saturday. All’s well again.
I follow a number of folks by reading their travel blogs. When we attended the first RV Dreams rally held a few miles north of here back in 2010 we met Bill and Nancy Mills. They had started a full time adventure a few years earlier but went so fast that they burned out very quickly and gave it up. Like us they found Howard and Linda’s blog and became interested again. Now they stop and smell the roses along the way and having a ball. I was reading their blog and seen that they were camping at Huntington State Park which is about 12 miles from us so after the post office I headed to the park to see if I could catch them home. I knocked on their door and Nancy answers and for a brief moment has that look of I think I know you but from where. I tell her my name and hear a shout from inside from Bill. We had a great visit. We compared trips taken and filled each other in on news from other Dreamer's we knew. Time past quickly so I said see ya and left. We will meet again I’m sure.
I stopped to fill the truck and went for a haircut. I returned to the trailer just in time to take a long walk with Sherry. There is a weather front moving in which was apparent by the waves that was crashing on the beach. We have really enjoyed our stay here at Ocean Lakes Family Camground. Tomorrow we move to Charleston, South Carolina. We will be visiting friends as well as taking in the sights we missed on our last visit. More on that later.
Living daily in Wayne’s World
I read that you went and knocked on Nancy's door. Had to come and read your blog. Now we remember you guys! Glad to see things are going well for both of you in this wonderful life on the road!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy Charleston and Thanks for taking the time to come look us up!! Maybe next time, we will get to see Sherry too;o)
ReplyDeleteSafe Travels and Happy Trails....
Great blog Wayne-glad you are enjoying retirement and the RV life Steve Steit
ReplyDelete