Tuesday, March 13, 2012

2 Days Down

Hi 72    Lo 51

Yesterday was my first day on the job at KOA and Sherry's first day back in the office at IUPUI.  She worked overtime to wrap her arms back around the transition.  Her commute is much longer.  She was loving the 30 foot walk to her desk while working from our trailer.

My first day.  It's been many years since my last first day.  Yesterday consisted of paperwork and orientation.  I got a lesson in bathroom cleaning and general park maintenance. Dave worked with me the whole time.  The day past very quickly.

Today Dave and I discussed what needed to be done and extra duties that needs to be done during the next week.  Dave let me work on my own today.  I guess he is comfortable about me working without supervision.  I completed all my task and took on a couple other things that I thought needed attention.  Dave is pleased that I'm willing to treat the park as my own.

He is working on a procedure to control daily operations with some checks and balance.  He put together  a daily and a monthly duty list for every job classification.  We only have three different  job classifications.  We have started making changes to each.  I'm happy to help organize these list  and define time lines for completion.  So instead of everyone just doing their own thing, we will have a daily punch list for each position that states what is to be done that day plus a place for special task that may come up and a place that comments or needs can be written.  This way we don't have to remember to bring items needing attention to Dave at the end of the day.  At the end of the day this punch list is turned back in showing what got completed and any concerns that came up during the day.  Now we can track daily operations. 

I am the first of the crew to arrive for the summer.  The rest will be arriving over the next month.  The hope is that most of the special projects will have been completed.  The weather is in our favor.  Dave has added a number of new deluxe sites this year.  We hope to finish 3 tomorrow.  This will leave 3 more to be completed by mid summer.  I will get to learn how to do concrete, electric, and plumbing as well as grading and landscaping.  All useful experience that will help in the future.

The biggest thing that I can tell you right now is I get dirty fast and I have sore muscles.  Maybe I will now loose the weight that my doctor has wanted me to. We will see.

No pain, only gain in Wayne's World

No comments:

Post a Comment